Details of walks
Length 8.8 km – Circular from Ash Village OR Circular from Westmarsh – length 6.75 km
One walk starts and finishes from the Ash Village Centre Car Park at The Street and is shown on the map above. The other is a shorter walk starting and finishing in Westmarsh. This is a low lying hamlet at the north of the parish. It was at or near sea level in Roman times, with the Ash Levels now drained and being used for summer grazing and some cropping.
There are a number of orchards that make a lovely walk in spring with the fruit tree blossom.
There are three Hall Houses on these walks.
Santon Farm was probably a Hall House with an interesting building behind it having a crow-stepped gable – a simpler and earlier form of Dutch gable.
Uphousden, another Hall House dating from before 1400 with a Dutch gable to the south end which can be seen over the hedge.
Wingham Barton Manor is just south of the Westmarsh route. Parts of this house may originate from the 13th century but it mainly dates from the 15th century. It was originally associated with the College of Canons at Wingham.
Ware Court is a large Victorian vicarage for this small hamlet which had its own far smaller church.
For details of the walks open the attachments below.