- Discuss the repair with a relative, neighbour or friend and seek personal recommendations. Do not be reluctant to ask for advice.
- Local and reliable tradesmen often obtain their work through recommendations. It is good business for them to build this trust.
- Obtain an estimate in writing. Three estimates are recommended however any written estimate is unlikely for an urgent repair.
- Does the estimate include VAT? If so, the trader must be VAT registered with HMRC. The VAT number should be identified on a written estimate.
- Avoid cash transactions of large sums of money as it has no audit trail. Most legitimate tradesmen and companies should accept other forms of payment.
- Do not accept advice from tradesmen randomly calling at your home. Make an appointment with a legitimate tradesman who are always willing to provide free advice and estimates, with no pressure to accept. Do not be reluctant to ask questions no matter how basic.
- Stay in control of the situation. It is your home, your money and your decision.
Peter Gill / Kent Community Warden Service – Community Warden/Sandwich, Eastry and Ash.
Public Protection service / Environment Planning and Enforcement / Growth, Environment and Transport | Mob. 07703454190